Adventure Explorers (age 12-13)
The Adventure Explorers program is for cross-country skiers aged 12 and 13 (as of Dec.31st of the year in which the session starts), who want to be active, have fun and enjoy the outdoors in a non-competitive environment. The fall program includes a variety of outdoor activities to build strength, endurance and get to know each other, such as rock climbing, biking, and orienteering. Our ski program includes a full season of skiing (classic, skate and backcountry) in all terrains, led by competent volunteers, with skill-focused coaching sessions interspersed through the season. Expect several challenging but fun ski days during which we can all ski at our own speed but with a goal of reaching a set destination. There will be one planned weekend retreat during the season, always the highlight of any active/social program! Being part of Chelsea Nordiq we also help out with club events such as the Cookie Beiner.
All are welcome. You need to be in good health, be able to ski and have a sense of adventure.
This is a volunteer run club so parents are encouraged to join our sessions as assistants/helpers. It’s the perfect excuse to enjoy the great outdoors.
Come adventure with us!
- What is the training schedule?The season starts around mid-September. Practices are typically held Saturday mornings and Wednesday evenings. For this year’s schedule, see our registration page.
- Where will the sessions take place?The majority of the training sessions will take place at various locations in the Gatineau Park. All the information will be posted on the Adventure Explorer training page.
- When can I register and what are the fees?Registration for the season begins late August or early September and is available online. Go to the programs summary page for this year’s dates, fees registration.
An annual (one per family) club membership fee is charged in addition to the registration fees.
- What level of ski ability does my child need?Skiers must have completed JR4 or Adventure Rabbits or skiers must be comfortable skiing 10km over a variety of terrain. e.g. P16 to Healey and back or P7 to Keogan and back. Some children will have progressed through Chelsea Nordiq programs; others will have developed skills and enjoyment with family and friends. If you are concerned about your child’s skiing ability, please contact the coordinator.
- Do parents need to ski with their children?No, but you are more than welcome to. Often we will need to call upon parents to help out on the trail, either skiing with a slower skier(s), adding a little wax to kids’ skis, helping out with games etc.
- Does it matter if my child misses some of the sessions?No, that is not a problem. There’s always something going on! However, it makes sense if typically they are available on a Wednesday evening and a Saturday morning, as that is when the program runs. Registration numbers are limited, so we want to be sure that those who sign up intend to be active participants in the program.
- Is it okay to be early or late for drop off or pick up?For safety and liability reasons we ask that a parent brings or takes their child (to or from the group) if the child in question is not able to attend the whole session.
- What ski equipment will my child need?